How to Organize and Run a Small Business
Field of Study:
Business Management and Organization
This course is a primer for aspiring small business owners and entrepreneurs. The course explores step-by-step procedures necessary to set up and manage a small business. Topics include the development of a business plan, market entry strategies, organization and management, financing, Internet marketing, software, and critical factors for small business owners and entrepreneurs.
COVID-19 Note : Covid-19 had a major impact on the economy and on small businesses in 2020, and it will likely continue to do so for the foreseeable future. Many sources that are available to small businesses have specific COVID 19 recommendations and strategies as well as other information, such as potential tax credits/deductions, extended due dates, etc. The following are just a few of these sources:
After completing this course you will be able to:
- Recognize the advantages and requirements of different business organizations.
- Identify factors to consider when buying an existing business.
- Recognize methods for determining how much to pay for a business.
- Identify important factors for selecting a new business location.
- Recognize the key sections of a business plan and how it can be used.
- Identify options and strategies available for small business financing.
- Identify the advantages of leasing vs. purchasing assets.
- Recognize methods for maximizing working capital and improving cash management.
- Identify processes for inventory management and control.
- Recognize the elements of different business structures.
- Identify items within legal contracts.
- Recognize the value of patents and where to register a trademark.
- Recognize financial records necessary to improve internal controls.
- Identify different financial ratios useful for financial analysis.
- Recognize major elements in business costs.
- Identify elements of different taxes, including income and sales taxes.
- Recognize different components of marketing research.
- Identify the advantages of new product introductions.
- Recognize social media as it applies to marketing.
- Identify key factors in creating a pricing strategy.
- Recognize factors to consider when selecting insurance policies.
- Identify software useful for a small business.
- Identify the advantages of different staffing strategies.
Type of delivery method:
Recommended CPE credits:
Final examination expiration date:
The program participant will have one year from the date of purchase to complete the course and final examination.
Web CPE is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org