2019 Tax Filing Season Update
Field of Study:
Each year, income tax return preparation must take into account inflation-related changes to various limits and
new tax laws. This course will look at those changes and new laws. The 2019 Annual Tax Season Update course is
designed to provide valuable information to persons preparing individual 1040 income tax returns reflecting
clients’ 2018 income. The course a) examines the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 and changes in various
limits that reflect inflation, b) provides a general tax review, and c) discusses important rules governing
tax return preparer ethics, practices and procedures.
After completing this course you will be able to:
- Identify the principal individual income tax changes brought about by the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017;
- Apply the inflation-adjusted and other limits to the proper preparation of taxpayers’ income tax returns;
- Calculate nonexempt taxpayers’ tax penalty under the Affordable Care Act for failure to maintain healthcare coverage;
- Recognize the federal income tax filing statuses and the criteria for their use;
- Identify the types of income that must be recognized;
- Apply the tax rules to the various credits and adjustments to income that are available to taxpayers;
- Recognize the penalties that may be imposed on a preparer for failing to meet ethical and practice standards in preparing tax returns; and
- Identify the duties and restrictions imposed on tax preparers under Circular 230.
General understanding of federal income taxation.
Type of Delivery Method:
Recommended CPE Credits:
Final examination expiration date:
The program participant will have one year from the date of purchase to complete the course and final examination.
Web CPE is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.NASBARegistry.org.